The Curly Side of Life

One curly haired girls adventures. Now with 10% more rants.

Sunday, August 06, 2006

My curly rules:

Well, after trawling through millions of websites to find help, I've got quite a bit of know-how! Here are the tips that I use daily, so try them and notice the difference!
  1. Always use a mosturizing shampoo and conditioner. Contrary to popular belief, more moisture does NOT make your hair less curly. But it does make your hair less frizzy.
  2. Never ever ever EVER use clasped hairbands. Everytime I use them, and huge clump of hair gets pulled out. Good thing I never tie my hair back.
  3. Don't even try to get your hair under control. You will never get it back in a nice neat ponytail---so stop dreaming. Buy lots of hairbands to keep your hair off your face instead.
  4. Do NOT under any circumstances dye your hair. Curly hair is dry enough without adding to it with chemicals! If you really want a change, try henna.
  5. Experiment with different products. If you can't find testers, you can usually get small bottles. Get lots of different products, and see how they work. Use the best ones---and say you found 2 conditioners that worked perfectly, you could get them both! Just alternate them.
  6. Leave in conditioner and hand cream are a curly girls best friend.
  7. I find it's best to wash my hair in the evenings, rather then the mornings. After I've slept on it it's usually more tame. Plus, my hair is super thick and takes ages to dry---the case with a lot of curly haired girls.
  8. Stop envying girls with straight hair. I'm pretty sure they must have problems with their hair, too. Right?
  9. When you book an appointment with a hairdresser, ask for a stylist who knows about curly hair. The only time I ever got a good haircut was when a curly girl styled me.
  10. DON'T listen to the hairdresser! That same stylist I just mentioned told me I'd have to blowdry my hair to get it to look right. I told her no. She said that you have to put a bit of elbow grease in for a nice haircut. I said NO. Well, what would she know? She straightened her hair!
  11. Curly girls can still have fringes/bangs. They look surprisingly nice curly, as long as they're side ones. I'm speaking from experience here!
  12. If you DO want your fringe/bangs straight, them wet them and put in hand cream or gel before you go to bed. Tie a scarf REALLY tight around your head. Works for me!
  13. Hair-dryers and straighteners are your worst enemy. They dry out your hair, extreme style. If you must dry, use a diffuser on a cold setting.
  14. Just learn to love it!

1 Comments:

  • At 10:18 AM, Blogger Cali Hellerman said…

    Hey Fashion Whore,
    I just started to use this great all natural line for dry/curly hair called the Jane Carter Solution. I saw it in Ebony magazine and I decided to try it, and I’ve fallen in LOVE with the line! All the products are 100% natural and they are for all types and textures of hair. I LOVE their product called Nourish and Shine, it’s for your body and hair and has become an instant favorite in my house. It smells amazing and it makes my hair shiny and soft. I’ve now tried the entire line and this product line has done no wrong!! In addition to the products being great, they have a great mission and it’s a homegrown line created by a African American stylist. I just wanted to share this info. Check out the website www.janecartersolution.com
    Thanks!
    -Cali

     

Post a Comment

<< Home